User Linux

Vincent pros-n-cons at bak.rr.com
Thu Feb 12 01:04:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 10:05, George Farris wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 09:59, Travis Riddle wrote:
> > > Certainly these are options too, though I haven't had to recompile my
> > > kernel in year
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > You also can't go to your local Computer Store and buy any piece of hardware you want and have a 99% chance of it working first time with the drivers that are included with it.  Windows users can.  Certianly there is hardware that is compatible, and its coming around, but its not there yet.
> >

> So really what the heck are you doing on this list.  If you like Windows
> so much go to a Windows list and discuss it.  This list is about Fedora,
> please move on, there is enough traffic as it is.
>
> --
> George Farris	farrisg at mala.bc.ca
> Malaspina University-College - Cowichan Campus

That's the wrong attitude. He's making (some) valid points and appears
to care about the quality and adoption of Linux. I agree this isn't a
Fedora specific thread but It's still one that has to do with a lot of
users on this list. Personally I'd like to see a Full discussion on this
topic somewhere with people who know what they are talking about. Saying
we have Gimp and they have to pay for photoshop like a few people
mentioned is the kinda bias opinions we mock when M$ puts out a TCO
report. Weather you want to admit it or not Linux lags behind windows in
many areas and pretending they do not exist is not a solution.