log wiever

Vincent pros-n-cons at bak.rr.com
Thu Feb 12 12:18:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 03:38, sid wrote:
> Hello
>
> in the log wiever I do not know how to make so, that last the recording
> of log is in top of the list and not in bottom. How to arrange the list
> by :
> last arrived - > in top of the list?
> Because  when the log update  the  log go to the top of the list. when
> you 've got a long list and when you want to follow some events how it
> goes, it' s not wery confortable.
>
> thank you
> Jean-François DUMONT

I do not know if you can change ascending and descending order in
syslog. Until someone smarter than me answers you can use VI to
jump to the bottom of a file. Like vi /var/log/messages then type
shiftkey+g id drops you to the bottom, and gg brings you to the top.
pgup/pgdown to handle whats left. If all you need is the last few
lines you can use tail like tail -n 20 /var/log/messages. the N means
number of lines in this case twenty.