Mozilla Firefox - multiple instances

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Thu Feb 12 19:22:55 UTC 2004

I've seen several queries about how to open multiple instances of
Firefox (nee Firebird) without encountering the dreaded Profile Manager
prompt.  I saw this thread on Mozillazine about how to do just that:

In a nutshell, create this script:

#!/bin/sh
firefox -remote 'ping()'
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
#open a new window
#firefox -remote "openURL(www.google.com, new-window)" &
firefox -remote "openURL(${1}, new-window)" &
else
#open new instance
firefox $1 &
fi

Make it executable, drop it in /usr/bin,  and always start Firefox by
calling this script.  I also made sure that my file manager, Gentoo,
calls this script, I changed .htmlview appropriately, and I changed all
my firefox desktop and menu icons to point to it as well.

Works like a dream.  I suspect it would work similarly for Mozilla as
well but I haven't made such a Mozilla script yet to test.