FC2 test 1

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Feb 13 02:55:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Dave Jones wrote:

> > > Yea, it's not what anyone really wants. Suggestions on what to remove are
> > > most welcome. :)
> > all the kernel rpms are together around 100MB... ;)
>
> kernel-source takes up the bulk of this, weighing in at 40MB.
> That's not going to get any smaller. The actual kernel images
> are around 16MB each, and there's only 4 of them.
> (i586/i586-smp/i686/i686-smp)
>
> We're actually shipping *less* kernel RPMs than FC1.
> - No Athlon build
> - No 386 build
> - No bigmem build
> - No debug build (though this will change for the final FC2)
>
> I'm not sure we can actually trim it any further without losing
> functionality that some folks may want, or punishing low-end users.

Yeah, I know my suble attempt at humor went slightly wide of the mark... I
think the distro is substantially less useful without the kernel,
nothwithstanding the number of parts.

feeping creatureism seeming to be most of the source of growth although
some allegedly high-value packages are quite large:

kde 		~277MB
openoffice 	~121
emacs 		~25
xemacs 		~40

nickling and dimeing could probably squeeze it back on 3 cd's but it's
probably not worth it.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu