Hello...

Martin Jackson mhjacks at swbell.net
Sat Feb 14 18:14:26 UTC 2004

> Two short answers. This group is fairly chatty, so if you have a good
> init script it might not make it in this time but shared expertise is
> seldom wasted.
>
> As to MySQL, I asked about that some time ago and the comment was
> something about licensing. The other problem for me is that I use php,
> so if I upgrade mysql I have to redo or build my own php config as well.
> It's certainly doable but I have other things to keep me busy and not
> enough brain cells to share.
>

> ciao!
>
> leam

Thanks for the quick reply.

Should I post the init script here?  Or is there a better place for that
sort of thing?

As a footnote, the mysql/php thing kind of sucks but that's the price
you pay for integration. :)  I'm looking at rebuilding xfree 4.3.0 from
source for the second time in two days on my gentoo laptop (security
updates), though it handles the mysql/php problem quite nicely -- as
long as you've got hardware that handles lots of compiler time well. :)

Gentoo is a very interesting experiment in this arena but I think people
in general prefer convenience to ultimate flexibility (especially when
it costs in terms of convenience).  I'm still on the fence on that point...

Marty