struggles installing new invidia drivers

Jim Radford jim at grubber.org
Sun Feb 15 16:03:57 UTC 2004

On Saturday 14 Feb 2004 4:51 pm, Steve Bergman wrote:
> john wrote:
> >I have jsut installed fedora and need to update my video card driver.
> >The issue i am having is being able to shut off the x server to be able
> >to load the driver properly. If someone could help me with how to
> >properly shutdown the xserver it would be grealty appreciated.
> >
> >thanks in advance
> >John
>
> Log in as root.
>
> # init 3
>
> Do whatever you need to do.
>
> # init 5

Another way would be to edit (as root) /etc/inittab in your favorite text
editor (vi, nano etc.) and look for the line:

id:5:initdefault:

This line tells the computer to startup in runlevel 5 by default - which
starts the X server and allows access to the full network.

Change the line to:

id:3:initdefault:

And you will reboot into runlevel 3, the next time it boots it'll start
everything except the X server.

Then you can configure your drivers - and type init 5 to test that it works.
When you know it's fine, change the inittab back to default to runlevel 5.

I hope that makes sence.
--
Jim Radford
   "If at first you don't succeed - change the DC"