fedora-list digest, Vol 1 #1048 - 34 msgs

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sun Feb 15 23:25:04 UTC 2004

> Message: 2
> Subject: Re: SCSI needs
> From: Patrick Nelson <pnelson at neatech.com>
> To: Fedora List <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:04:27 -0800
>
> On Sun, 2004-02-01 at 13:58, Patrick Nelson wrote:
> > FC1 uptodate with yum.
> >
> > I have to move a scsi drive to a system because the system that it is on
> > is old and is failing...  Problem is that I don't have a SCSI card in
> > any of my other systems.  I went looking in my ole' bin of computer
> > cards and found 2 IDE SCSI cards:
> >
> >   Adaptec AHA-1520A
> >   Adaptec AHA-1540CF
> >
> > The 1520 has jumpers on it and I have no idea what they are, but the
> > 1540 has a toggle switch block with a lable on the back of the card
> > documenting the toggles.  Great...
> >
> > But I was wondering should I even try either of these or buy (or search
> > for) another version.  I'm running out of time with the failing system
> > and kind of want to resolve this quicker.  Any suggestions to how to
> > setup the 1540 or a better course of action?
> >

> Have waited for any reply...  So if no one has understanding of 1540
> what scsi card should I purchase that is supported and works well?
>
> Please any help is appreciated.

I found a link to the user's guide for the AHA-1540 here (via Google).

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppedindexprod.html?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2fProduct%2fAHA-1540

The Adaptec site appears to have some good data on old host adaptors
like this.  If you have the wherewithal to experiment, perhaps you can
simply try the card as-is?  With the data and a little luck, perhaps you
can resolve the issue without waiting.

Erik