another yum/python problem

Mark McGlone dmcglone at san.rr.com
Mon Feb 16 02:43:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 02:18:05PM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 11:08:27AM -0500, Mark McGlone wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed a few other people having a problem like this but mine
> > appears to be a little different.
> >
> > I get the following error when trying to run yum
> >
> >      Traceback (most recent call last):
> >        File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
> > 	 import yummain
> >        File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 30, in ?
> > 	 import yumcomps
> >        File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
> > 	 import comps
> >        File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
> > 	 import libxml2
> >        File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
> >      ImportError: No module named libxml2mod
> >
> > This happend right after installing kdebase (3.2.0) from the development
> > archive.  As seen below.
>
>   if you got /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py , that mean you have
> a libxml2-python compiled against python2.2 availsble, and I don't see how
> you would then not have libxml2mod object.
>   Check rpm -V libxml2-python , and try to do an "import libxml2"
> directly from a python-2.2 shell instance and see if you also get
> the problem.
>
> Daniel

I do have libxml2-python installed (according to rpm -qa it's
libxml2-python-2.6.6-1).

Although I have python 2.2.3, directory '/usr/lib/python2.3' also exists. And
it does have libxml2mod files, but '/usr/lib/python2.2' does not.

If I try to install python2.3 I get a lot of failed dependencies (mostly
redhat-config-* which needs python2.2), but also it says that python2.3 needs
libdb-4.2.so.

I seem to be stuck somehow between python2.2 and 2.3 in a kind of 'failed
dependencies hell'. Some things need python 2.3 to work others need python2.2
to work (notably yum). Is there a way to set things back to the way the way
they were before I installed kdebase3.2? Other than reinstalling everything
that is.

thanks,

Mark McGlone