BitchX on Fedora Core 1

Christofer C. Bell cbell at jayhawks.net
Mon Feb 16 16:24:05 UTC 2004

I've done some digging around and I'm aware that there is a problem with
compiling BitchX 1.0c19 (ircii-pana-1.0c19.tar.gz) on a stock Fedora Core
1 installation.  The closest I've come to a solution was this message
posted to another list:

=== QUOTE ===

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 10:53:28AM +0200, Erez Kirson wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Has anyone installed BitchX ( ircii-pana-1.0c19.tar.gz ) on Fedora core 1 ?
> the "/configure" part was clean but it breaks on gmake
>
> For some reason im getting
>

> status.c:1245:14: pasting "status_user18" and "(" does not give a valid preprocessing token
> status.c:1246:14: pasting "status_user19" and "(" does not give a valid preprocessing token
> gmake[1]: *** [status.o] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/BitchX/source'
> gmake: *** [BitchX] Error 2

Sounds like gcc-3.2.x doesn't like BithcX's source. This should be
trivial to fix manually, though. Look for something like

#define STUSER18 "stuser18"
#define PAREN "("
printf(STUSER18 PAREN);

and change it to
printf("%s%s\n", STUSER18, PAREN);

Cheers,
Muli

=== END QUOTE ===

I've poked around in the source and I'm unable to make these types of
changes (I'm not a developer, just a "technical user").  Is anyone aware
of a patch that will get this software building on FC1 or have a binary
rpm that can be installed that works?  Thanks!

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown