Network Functionality Zero

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Mon Feb 16 17:59:26 UTC 2004

Nigel wrote:
> Hi I have installed Fedora Core 1 and have the following problem:
>
> The network card appears to have been detected (3c905) and is setup for
> our network correctly in every way I can think of.

I just tried to install a 3c905 (boomerang) on a machine last night. The
card was working fine on a Windows machine. After installing it on a FC1
machine, the card would not transmit. Look in your /var/log/messages
file. In mine I had:

Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel: eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00
status e000.
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   diagnostics: net 0cc0 media 8802 dma
00000000.
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 1(1) current
17(1)
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   Transmit list 00000000 vs. db61b240.
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   0: @db61b200  length 8000002a status
8000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   1: @db61b240  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   2: @db61b280  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   3: @db61b2c0  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   4: @db61b300  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   5: @db61b340  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   6: @db61b380  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   7: @db61b3c0  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   8: @db61b400  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   9: @db61b440  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   10: @db61b480  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   11: @db61b4c0  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   12: @db61b500  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   13: @db61b540  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   14: @db61b580  length 8000002a status
0000002a
Feb 15 23:03:52 sparky kernel:   15: @db61b5c0  length 8000002a status
8000002a

> ifconfig gives the correct information.

So did my card, but looking closely, My TX packets and TX bytes were
both zero.

> Firewall is (now) off.  I had originally thought this was my problem but
> IPTables is set not to load at start up.
>
> Any clues?

As root, try

	grep -i eth0 /var/log/messages

or:

	dmesg |grep -i eth0

You might also look at:

	http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html

for some good info on the card.

I will try again tonight to get my card working and will let you know
what I find.