up2date

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 17 16:12:56 UTC 2004

Jeremy said:
>... shot
> down for not knowing the format for some undocumented file.

The release notes state "Additional repositories can be configured in the
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file."  The file itself has the format info in
the comments.

> Someone else said the Stanford mirror was busy?  Ugh, it seems like no
> matter which one I choose, it's either very slow or has too many users
> connected.
>
> Someone else also said that HTTP is preferred?  I'll try that, I've just
> always assumed that FTP would be prefered for file downloads.

HTTP is preferred because the FC version of rhn-applet doesn't talk FTP.
If you are using a development version of rhn-applet it isn't an issue.

> Also, what about the 'updates-released' deal?  Do i need to use a mirror
> for that too?

updates-released is where all the updates are.
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/updates.html

IIRC the mirror you had configured was just for the OS, which just holds
the RPMs that are part of the original ISO set.

Best case is to comment out all the fedora.redhat.com lines and replace
them with a mirror (or two).  As I said before, up2date downloads headers
from all configured sources so just adding a mirror without removing the
originals won't do any good.

--
William Hooper