Hard Dive Overlay - installation problems?

John Wendel jwendel at fnmoc.navy.mil
Tue Feb 17 18:50:02 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 05:39 am, Will Clifton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would have searched the archives for this but they seem to be
> temporarily down, please accept my apologies in advance.
>
> I had to temporarily install Win98 on my Fedora box, and now want
> to nuke it and install Fedora again. I had to use the Western
> Digital Data Lifeguard overlay program in order for '98 to see my
> WD 200GB drive. Will this cause problems in my later install of
> Fedora and if so what can I do about it?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Will

I'm currently running a disk with a WD overlay. Works fine, but
booting is a pain since the overlay takes control from the BIOS and
complains that it doesn't recognize the disk partition table. You
have to press an extra return to make it continue.

You can keep the overlay if you want to, things will work fine with
kernel version 2.4.x, but when you go to 2.6.x you need to supply a
boot time parameter (/dev/hdx=remap).

Best thing is to use the WD tools and remove the overlay before you
get rid of W98. Or reformat the disk.

Regards,

John