SpeedTouch and Kernel modules in FC1

Hi,
I got a linux driver for SpeedTouch USB DSL modem, to
use it with Fedora Core 1.
link: http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/

When I try to compile it, as the INSTALL file says, i
get this error:

[root ossama speedtouch-1.6]# make
make -C /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2166.nptl/build
SUBDIRS=/root/speedtouch-1.6 modules
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl'

The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
Then build a kernel with module support enabled.

So, what's the problem? Why can't one use the modules?

thanks,
Ossama Khayat