update to FC2?

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Wed Feb 18 16:03:55 UTC 2004

From: "WipeOut" <wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net>
> Scott Fones wrote:
>
> > Hi all.  I'm still relatively new at this, and don't quite understand
> > all the benifits upgrading would provide.  I've already compiled and
> > installed the 2.6.2 kernel from source, should i still be upgrading to
> > FC2?  What are the other advantages of upgrading?  Thanks
> >
> If you are not sure why you need or want to upgrade then you probably
> should not be upgrading..
>
> The only reason to run FC2 now is for testing and repoerting any bugs
> you come across.. Do not use it on production systems..

Although it is not too early to be considering the migration to FC2 when
it's final release comes out.  Because FC will only release security updates
for FC1 for 2-3 months after FC2 comes out.

So far, I've always done a clean install when upgrading RH during major
releases (7.3 -> 8 -> 9) and I imagine that I'll want to do a clean install
of FC2 as well.  For those who *can't* do the clean install, however, I
can't help but imagine a nice, clean HOWTO might be in order.

Ben