Newbie: Fedora linux RedHat completely hanging or freezing the machine often

Clive Long rational_comms at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 18:30:32 UTC 2004

Hi,

     The following problem with Fedora has never
happened when I have used RH 6 or RH 7.1 on a variety
of machines.

    I have had Fedora freeze the machine entirely - so
that the machine only responds to a power down then
reboot. This hang can happen after 10 minutes of
Fedora use or an hour or two. It happens often. I have
searched the news groups for this as a known problem -
but can't find any description close.

    The only pattern I can find to what happens before
the freeze is that I MIGHT be scrolling in Nautilis or
Mozilla browser or an Open Office document. Hence,
this is unlikely to be an application problem.
However, as  my most frequent action in Fedora is
scrolling through files or Web Pages this "connection"
might be a red herring.

   Info from dmesg:

 Linux version 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
 (bhcompile at daffy.perf.redhat.com)
 (gcc version 3.2.3 20030422 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-6))

    I have downloaded the latest kernel using up2date
fairly recently. If I try to download ALL rpm packages
in one go then download hangs and / or many unresolved
 dependencies occur - so I now add them one by one -
tedious but more reliable.

     How do I search in Fedora for any relevant
diagnostics for this "hang" problem? Where do I post
a  description of the problem? On this mailing list?

    Machine specification: IBM T21, 256M memory, 800
Mhz P3 - Linux performance fine(Except for the
 hang).

     Machine successfully and stably dual boots XP Pro
(latest maintenance applied) and has never hung with
that OS - so I  don't think the hardware is the cause.

    Any suggestions please on how to isolate (and fix
!!) the problem?

 Thanks

 Clive

=====
Clive Long

Rational Communications (UK) Ltd

clive at rational-communications.com
Ph:  44 (0) 79 00 55 66 36
Fax: 44 (0) 870 011 4405

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.
Edwin Louis Cole

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
Albert Einstein