Mozilla/Lynx/Fedora Can't work with Microsft ISA Proxy Server

Thiers Botelho thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br
Fri Feb 20 17:15:11 UTC 2004

On 20 Feb 2004 12:14:16 , Ow Mun Heng asked:

|Hi guys,
|
|I'm seeing something funny. There's a proxy for I-net access
|which is not letting traffic flow from non-IE browsers.
|
|Normally, under IE, connecting to the Web, will pass through
|proxy which in turn asks(message box) for the username/pass combo.
|
|Under Linux/mozilla/lynx this does not come out. Any ideas what is
|causing this and why it does not prompt for the username/password??
|

|Cheers,
|Mun Heng, Ow

Hi, Ow !        [hmm, doesn't that sound a little like a Texan greeting ?
:-)     ]

I had this problem back in November. See these posts - we're both kind of
orphaned here (no reply to either).

 http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-November/msg04963.html
 http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-November/msg05600.html

Later on - after I've spent a long time not having a chance to use Linux
and proceed with my learning and testing - I found out the problem had
disappeared and solved itself.          ;))

IIRC, the problem first occurred when I tried to connect thru our obsolete
Ms-Proxy server which was in production. We also had a testing environment
with the more advanced ISA Server, returning the same errors.

On my second (successful) attempt, admins at my company had hired some
consultancy to attach WebSense functionality to the ISA server, as a
previous stage before moving it into production. It seems those guys
reconfigured the beast (I suppose it might have something to do with
removing 'basic authentication' or some such). I found nobody in-house
which had a precise idea of what had been done . . .            :(

>From then on I never had any further problem, so I dropped the python
interface to the proxy (which never worked as advertised anyway).

HTH.

Cheers

Thiers