ppp-compress-21 / bsd_comp.0 problems

John Klingler klingweiser at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 22:54:09 UTC 2004

> So do not fear, what you see in /var/log/messages is just a warning that
the
> module is not found, but the PPP connection still works fine.

Ok. It's just warning. I can live with that. But my connection is still
painfully slow - 700-800 bps. I get this rate on web pages, ftp sites,
everywhere. People have told me that I probably have a bad line or that
there happens to be internet congestion every time I use the machine, so I
installed windows so I can dual boot. The exact same machine booted to
windows gets 3-4 Kbps. Mind you that this difference in connection rate
happens at anytime of the day or night on any site on the net. This would
lead me to believe that the connection problem is in linux somewhere and not
with network congestion. I've played with my MTU till blue in the face and
700-800 bps is the best rate I can get. I'm using pppd with wvdial as the
dialer, started with a SysV startup script at boot, setup as a persistent
connection. Is there some setting I missing somewhere, like telling pppd or
wvdial to actually use compression instead of just seeing if the modules
exist? What about connection throttling (I haven't turned any on that I know
of, but...)? I'm drawing at straws because I'm about at my wit's end. I
mean, I've gotten DHCP, DNS, DynDNS, NTP, Samba as a PDC, sendmail, gotmail,
fetchyahoo and fetchmail all running very smoothly (setup from the command
line - I didn't install X), so I'm not a complete idiot. (I've also disabled
everything I just listed while doing testing to get the above rates so I'm
not just consuming all of my bandwidth with these services.)

> If you want to compile bsd_comp though, just install the kernel sources,
issue
> a menu config, select the "PPP BSD-Compress compression" option from the
> "Network device support" and save the new configuration. Go to the top
level
> Makefile and remove the "custom" part from the EXTRAVERSION variable or
else
> the compiled module won't be accepted by your running kernel. Then "make
> dep", "make modules SUBDIRS=drivers/net", copy the bsd_comp.o file that
will
> result to your /lib/modules/... directory and run "depmod -a".

How about from the command line?

Thanks again,

John Klingler