Computer Hangs / Locks Up

Gordon Larsen ve6gel at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 21 15:16:16 UTC 2004

Hmmm, that's interesting.  I have exactly the same symptoms with my machine.
Memtest86 runs 100% for days.  I've tried different processors, memory, disk
and cdrom drives, video cards, keyboards, mice..not much is left.  This only
seems to be a problem under Gnome though, it doesn't happen with
KDE...except that when trying to set up the proxy settings for
Mozilla...then it hangs as soon as I touch the keyboard.  I have a four year
old DFI MB with a VIA686A chipset and have tried it with both a Duron 800
and a Duron 1300 with the same results.  I've also tried virtually every
combination of BIOS setting I can imagine.  Nothing appears in the logs, and
the only way to escape is to reset or restart the PC, after which the disks
need recovery.

Any ideas?

Gordon Larsen
ve6gel at shaw.ca