Giving up on Linux...

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sun Feb 22 13:46:53 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 08:39:27AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> perhaps i'm misreading this, but if it's the intel graphics that's the
> limiting factor, this is a hardware issue that would be a limiting factor
> for both linux and windows, no?  so it can't really be considered a
> weakness of linux if it affects all OSes equally.  or am i must
> misinterpreting the above?

Yes...  I'm talking about 1400x1050 laptops (e.g. the ASUS M3700N,
there is an Acer model with the same issue and maybe there are more)
with an Intel graphics chipset that only work in Linux on 1024x768,
because "the Linux driver only supports BIOS-modes" (IIRC), while
they work in 1400x1050 with Windows.

> FYI, i've been using red hat and fedora on a couple generations of dell
> inspiron with nvidia chips, first at 1400x1050, and now at 1600x1200,
> and for the most part, it's worked fine.

I now bought one with ATI Radeon which is reported to work (although
currently - pre-4.4.0 - only with a binary ATI driver).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>