Giving up on Linux...

Donald Correll donaldcorrell at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 22 16:15:49 UTC 2004

Dear xyzz,
  If it is any consolation to you I salso have had similar problems
trying to boot from CD on a high pwer AMD system running M$ XP Pro. I am
sure that it is something I overlooked in the Bios but there will always
echo in the brain that old saying:' DOS ain't done till Lotus won't run'
I have managed to get the CD boot on other dual boot machines but this
current peccadillio is exasperating. I am sure I followed the
instructions for the Disk (Knoppix, sorry off topic a bit) but with Red
Hat 9 running on one machine and Suse Pro 9.0 on another this Asus A7n8x
would be ideal for Fedora Core 2. But then I am forgetting my problems
with the Nvidia FX 5700 card which I have never got to run with any
distro no matter what. That is undoubtedly a driver issue but the fact
remains The World is in the grips of a silent but deadly Cyber War. You
dare not run the MS Patches, yet you often enough have cause to wonder
just what else Sore Bill and Micro$haft have packed in there. It seems
as if the cure for malware and scumware is almost as bad as the worm.
  As to your pesimism concerning the future it is a war and as always it
is hard to be at peace in such circumstances. I first became aware of
the problem when DVD's mysteriously failed to run under XP and Media
Player 9, even though they had previously run well.I guess that in a
nutshell is my complaint. As long as the Code is closed what do you
really know about what you are running. I bought and paid for that DVD I
never, ever have used p2p either so now I am running NEro Showtime and
other than plugin serial numbers am very happy, it works.
That in essence is the wonder of Linux at the same time as it is the
bane. You can actually peek under the hood, provided of course you are
skilled at programming, but when it comes to installing new hardware and
devices Windows still takes the useability crown.. Isn't it a pity and a
shame when those you thought to be friends and sympatico deliver the
lowest blow of all (SCO funded by M$ of course). Anyway to repeat myself
there is a warin Cyber Space. On the one hand are the powerfull and fat
coporate cronies who for a mere lisencing fee say every year will be
glad to fix you up, and the poor but honest struggling Open Source and
alternate OS crowd who have been so selfless and unbelievably generous
in offering us alternative codes and apps that as often as not beat the
heavily favoured expensive bloatware of M$ and thier ilk. Well I see
this is verging on a rant so let me close by saying I cannot wait till I
solve my Driver Issue because I am running out of machines for
experimental OS and still have Free BSD to go.  :-)
Donald in Braselton, who would like to get a big check but is just
greatful for his place in the Data Center
http://www.mindspring.com/~dcorrell
PS And btw nestled in amoungst the IBM big iron and the decrepit legacy
servers we have three Linux servers and I get to fix them on that rare
occassion when something goes wrong but thanx to Google I managed to
look great, no money but it was satisfying to find the necessary clues
relatively painlessly for a change.