mount CD Rom on Laptop... (or being just stupid)

Alexander H.M. Ruoff alexander.ruoff at ruoff-germany.de
Mon Feb 23 08:52:52 UTC 2004

> You can always mount your CD-ROM for use by issuing the command "mount /mnt/cdrom"
> as the root user. After you have finished using the drive, you can "umount
> /mnt/cdrom" (please note, the command is "umount"... there is no "n" in it)
> and then the command "eject".

Ok, I use Linux for some time but I am just "learning" to use the
terminal. I assume that with Laptops (Satellite 2750) the cdrom is
automatically mounted due to 2 reasons:

First of all, as soon as I place the cdrom in the drive, I can access it
by double clicking the cdrom icon on my desktop.

Secondly, if I use the above command in the terminal, I get the
following msg:

$ mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: according to mtab, none is already mounted on /mnt/cdrom
mount failed

However, when I typ "eject" my cdrom is ejected directly.

Haven't tried it with my desktop yet, since the cd-drive died after 7
years and I haven't bought a new one. But I will test it in the office
as well, since there I have to mount the cdrom and the floppy first
before I can access it.

Alex