can't configure vmware 3.2.1 on fc1

Clement Taylor cgtaylor at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 18:32:11 UTC 2004

I use the VMWare program on my linux desktop to run windows programs
with no Linux equivalent. Each time I change my kernel version I need to
recompile vmware. It normally works fine but I am having a problem with
my fedora system. When I run vmware-config.pl I get the following error:
The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
Then build a kernel with module support enabled.

I am bold so I tried to build a new kernel with the
make xconfig && make dep && make clean && make bzImage
technique. I have had no luck with that at all. The make bzImage fails
for me. It seems to object to the acpi section. I have played with it
quite a bit and  keep striking out. Is there a simpler approach to my
problem? I want to be Windows Free, but sometimes you need a little hair
of the dog that bit you.

Regards,
Clem

[root at lxmv04 root]# vmware-config.pl
Making sure VMware Workstation's services are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                       [  OK  ]
   DHCP server on /dev/vmnet1                              [  OK  ]
   SMB share server on /dev/vmnet1                         [  OK  ]
   SMB name server on /dev/vmnet1                          [  OK  ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1                     [  OK  ]
   DHCP server on /dev/vmnet8                              [  OK  ]
   NAT networking on /dev/vmnet8                           [  OK  ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8                     [  OK  ]
   Virtual ethernet                                        [  OK  ]

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for
your
running kernel.  Do you want this script to try to build the vmmon
module for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
[yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

Argument "gcc (GCC) 3" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at
/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl line 1493, <STDIN> line 1.
What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2174.nptl/build/include]

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Building for VMware Workstation 3.2.1.
Using 2.4.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config5/vmmon-only'
make -C /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2174.nptl/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD
SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl'

The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
Then build a kernel with module support enabled.

make[1]: *** [modules] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl'
make: *** [vmmon.o] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config5/vmmon-only'
Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems,
please
visit our Web site at
"http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
"http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".