Fedora Updater

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Tue Feb 24 12:07:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 17:11, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:00:08 -0300, Alexandre Strube wrote:
>
> > Besides a bad memory module (as Keith already pointed out, and you can
> > test with http://memtest86.com), there's a issue with rpm which
> > sometimes does that.
>
> I've found memtest86 a less than reliable method for determining if memory
> modules are bad.
>
> On several systems I've repaired, memtest86 passed every time, but a
> kernel rebuild loop caused segfaults. Replace the ram, no more segfaults.

I've also found this. I installed a new pair of 512MB sticks into my
home server and began regularly crashing within 30 minutes. 24 hours of
memtest later, showed no problems, but exchanging the ram for 2 new
sticks fixed the problem.

I was very disappointed to see that memtest86 did not exercise the ram
as strenuously as I had believed it would. It's a great tool, but it is
not infallible.

Cheers, Ben