Hard disk issues

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Feb 25 01:41:46 UTC 2004

Gabriel Birrane wrote:

>> You already have the second drive (sdb1) mounted.  Per the mount
>> command output it is mounted at / .
>> The df command output confirms this.
>>
>> NOTE: you have about 230+ gb of unused/unpartitioned space on /dev/sda
>>
>> To add the other drive (after defining the partition and formatting
>> it) simply select the point on the filesystem where you want it
>> mounted and mount it there.  It then becomes part of the usable space.
>

> How do I do this (in simple terms)?
> I would like to mount it so that I have the remaining 230Gb availalbe
> to "/"

can you send a copy of /etc/fstab ???
the info you sent earler identifies /dev/sda2 as swap, and about 1.7gb
in size.

Now the following needs to be done.
# fdisk /dev/sda
and create a new partition.
# mke2fs -j /dev/sdaX
Where X is the new partition number. The -j makes it an ext3 partition
but use the options appropriate for you.
Indications are that you only have /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 defined, so
this might be /dev/sda3 if you define it as a primary partition or
/dev/sda5 if you define it as an extended partition.

Then you will need to define a mount point for this new partition.
You indicate you want it to be at /, but that is impossible.  You
already have /dev/sdb1 mounted at /.
You may mount it at any desired subdirectory/mount point.  I use /var
/usr /tmp /home /opt as mount points for appropriately sized partitons.
 Once the decision is made of where to nount it, then you can use the
 mount command to actually perform the mount and modify the /etc/fstab
file to mount it at boot time.

Use the man pages for mount and fstab to provide more info.
Also be aware that you should never mount a filesystem over a directory
that already has content.  Doing so will make the existing content
inaccessible.

>>> Read the output.  There is a problem noted.
>>>
>>> May be bios or someting else.
>>

> Feb 22 18:59:06 localhost smartd[5274]: Device: /dev/hda, No such
> device or address, open() failed
> Feb 22 18:59:06 localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with
> ordered data mode.
> Feb 22 18:59:06 localhost smartd[5274]: Unable to register ATA device
> /dev/hda at line 30 of file /etc/smartd.conf
> Feb 22 18:59:06 localhost kernel: Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k
> freed
> Feb 22 18:59:06 localhost smartd[5274]: Unable to register device
> /dev/hda (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.
>

> I don't know where to start troubleshooting these errors. Any help
> would be appreciated.

First check that bios has the drive smart capability enabled.

Check dmesg and /var/log/messages to see what it tells you about the
drive and smart capabilities.

The message show smartd is trying to use /dev/hda, but you do not have
hda.  You have sda & sdb instead.