Giving up on Linux ... NO WAY

xyzzy at hotpop.com xyzzy at hotpop.com
Wed Feb 25 15:47:51 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 3:08 pm, Alexander H.M. Ruoff wrote:
> > Moral of the story?  A newbie as lame as myself did quite well with
> > Linux of various flavors on various levels of hardware; even though I
> > realize i had setbacks, I figured out alternates and other ways around;
> > and, finally I realized that Linux is worth the work, and is accessible
> > to everyone.
>
> Same with me, don't know anything 'bout PCs but installed Mandrake and
> Fedora and had no problem.
>
> > I can't understand that someone who boasts that they know alot about
> > computers could say that they had trouble with linux.

Huh?  Are you saying that Linux never gives trouble??  Trust me, 99% of the
problems I face with Linux I can solve, either by figuring it out myself or
using the Internet as a technical reference... This problem was unsolvable
for me and I need a working system at home... I was not installing it as a
toy or a hobbyist machine.  I was installing it with the eventual desire to
erase Windows from my machine completely, and ran right into a brick wall. I
wasted a lot of time trying to get this to work.

However, if I had been getting paid for this, I would probably have been much
more motivated to dig deeper and perhaps solve this.  As it is, I am so burnt
out that I barely have the desire to turn the power switch on when I come
home at night after a full day of dealing with Linux problems at work that I
get paid to solve.  I sometimes don't turn on my home system for up to a week
at a time.

> That's the part which I find strange, a kernel hacker who gives up on
> Linux?

Maybe that, better than anything else, shows how frustrated I am with this.
Since I do get paid for this, it is not a hobby or "fun" to come home and
wrestle with the same problems.