What is Qt?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Wed Feb 25 17:53:30 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 25.02.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 17:53:
> Guys
> What does this do?
> I had to install it to install KPopup.
>
> But what is it?

Hi Chadley!

1. Do NOT use kpopup < 0.95, it has a security whole. The only fixed
verson is 0.96pre1, see: http://www.henschelsoft.de/kpopup_en.html

2. QT is toolkit for UserInterfaces, KDE depends on it while Gnome uses
GTK+/GTK2. IF you use Gnome I suggest Linpopup2 (If you were using KDE
you'd already have qt installed, so I think you are running Gnome)

There's not much use installing a whole lot of qt-libs (qt-devel,
kdebase-devel and kdelibs-devel are around 200 mb I think) only to
run/build one small program like kpopup. Also certain features like the
tray icon will not work in Gnome.

Christoph