Broken Pipe Error Message

Gary Waters gwaters at rci-enr.net
Thu Feb 26 14:43:34 UTC 2004

Good day everyone,

First, as always, I issue my newbie preamble. I hereby declare that I'm
very green in Linux, etc...

I logged into my user account and opened up a konsole and went into
text-mode setup to changed my firewall settings. I typed:

su root
then typed my password
then typed setup

Once I enter text mode I get a broken pipe error. I therefore cannot get
into the firewall settings. If I reboot the machine and try again
everything works fine until I try a second time. Then the broken pipe error
message once again appears and I cannot use text-mode setup. This is on my
home machine. I forgot to look to see if there was spefic information after
the broken pipe error before I left for work. The error does not occur in
root to my knowledge.

I also had an "octet-stream missing error," which was solved by googling
for a solution. The broken pipe information I found was a bit too vague,
which is why I'm posting to the list. I would greatly appreciate any clues
that would point me in the right direction towards a solution.

Thank you!

Gary