FC1 as a server

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at warpdrive.net
Thu Feb 26 15:23:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 10:14, WipeOut wrote:
> Michael Gargiullo wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 08:25, Fredrik Holmberg wrote:
> >

> >>What are your experiences on running Fedora (Core 1) as a server, in
> >>comparison to the former Red Hat 9 (Shrike)?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Regards,
> >>Fredrik Holmberg
> >>

> >We actually use it in several dozen servers without incident.  We maybe
> >the exception though.  We also run the SMP kernel without a problem.  We
> >have it running on dual AMD systems, Dual Intel, and Dual Intel Xeon
> >boxes.  We did have one boot problem on the dual xeon box, but we have
> >it running on one of the mail gateways, and it handles everything
> >nicely.
> >

> Have you done either a minimum install or a full install??
>
> My minimum install is stable with SMP but my workstation install is not..

Interesting, I've got 12 machine across the country running with a
minimal installation (They run dhcpd, ntp, tftp, and perl scripts in
cron)

I have a mail server that started with a minimal install, but exim was
added, as was spamassassin, and clamscan.

I guess I always start with minimal installation, and only add the
functions I need the box to run.