Wireless NIC question (was: WLAN EMERGENCY)

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Thu Feb 26 16:11:40 UTC 2004

On Feb 26, 2004, at 10:59 AM, Javier Gonzalez wrote:

> I desperately need a wlan adapter that will work in my Laptop. I have
> Fedora Core 1 install, and it seems to be better with wlan, but I have
> still found a card that it's relatively easy to install. I have tried
> Linksys Instant Wireless ver.3, and Netgear MA401. Netgear just
> doesn't do a damn thing for me.
> However, Linksys Instant Wireless ver.3 (WPC11) does get powered by
> the computer, and the socket recognizes the card. However, the
> ifconfig will not recognize the adapter.

I'm not sure how this qualifies as an emergency.  Nevertheless...

I've always been very happy with my Intersil prism2-based cards.  In
particular, the original DWL-650's have been veddy, veddy good to me.
No matter which you go for, the default orinoco_cs driver should work
out of the box as eth*.  Once you're comfortable with more advanced
configuration tasks, you should consider upgrading to the linux-wlan-ng
drivers, as they provide more advanced support of the Intersil chipset.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting