Is SMP stability any better?

Christopher Ness nesscg at mcmaster.ca
Thu Feb 26 19:10:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 13:17, WipeOut wrote:
> I am no where near a kernel hacker so I would have no idea how to build
> a kernel rpm from the kernel.org source.. :)

Don't build an RPM, just install from source.
I wouldn't call myself a kernel hacker either, but don't be scared if
the kernel, it's your friend.

Find the .config file from either /usr/src/current-kernel-dir or /boot/
depending if/where it was stored.

If you cannot find a .config file then you are in uncharted territories
and I would likely not go on.

Download full source of the latest tarball (tar.bz - I think) from
kernel.org or a mirror and unpack it into /usr/src/

Copy in your .config file and execute:

`make oldconfig`
Answer the questions.

`make menuconfig`
To browse your configuration and see what you are going to build.  Lots
of help files are available in here for each option!

`make && make modules_install && make install`

You should be able to reboot and be running the new kernel now.
PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS ON A PRODUCTION MACHINE until you feel
comfortable with the procedure.  You also should not touch the old
kernel files so that you can roll back if something goes wrong (same
idea as installing the kernel RPMs as -ivh instead of -Uvh)

Cheers,
Chris
--
Software Engineering IV,