Is SMP stability any better?

Ian Cameron icameron at knoll.com
Thu Feb 26 19:14:43 UTC 2004

WipeOut,

> Is this system a minimum install with the specific software added on? or
> is it a desktop or workstation install?

> It seems minimum installs are stable which the others are not..

Fresh install (after being brave/foolish and trying to upgrade from RH8) as a server then I went through and added some of the things I like to throw in like KDE just in case I ever want to switch DTs, vim and a few others that I will probably never get around to using but disk space is cheap...

I am still amazed at Unix in general with a very old HPUX 715 going on about 602 days running as a production http server and the RH7.1 box here which was actually a desktop but is performing amazingly at upwards of 1200 hits a day. It would be closer to a year for the RH7.1 but I hammered the nfs server and to reboot this box to reset a stale mount. The FC1 box is so far showing the same stability that I have seen previously (RH6, 7.1 and even 8.0) and I am looking forward to seeing it actually 'working'.

Ian