HP printer stopped working

Mario St-Gelais legrimpeur at sympatico.ca
Fri Feb 27 01:18:15 UTC 2004

msjones773 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just recently installed fedora on my win xp machine as a dual boot.
> I was quite pleased that the install went ok and everything seemed to
> work. I am completely new to Linux, but am interested by what I see.
>
> Here's my question. I just ran apt-up2date and quite a few updates
> downloaded. After it was done I notice that my HP usb deskjet printer
> no longer prints. If I try to print from a file it looks like it
> queues and then nothing happens. Before the updates it would print
> fine. I looked in control manager and under  printer I see that it is
> idle and rejecting jobs. Then after a while it will become active, but
> when I try to print again I get the same result. Under the generic
> driver option I can not see any of the jobs in queue, but under cups I
> have a list of jobs waiting to print but there is a small red x on the
> printer icon so I'm not sure what that means. I did try all the
> options though. I'm pretty sure the updates I downloaded had something
> to do with it but being new to Linux I am not quite sure where to
> start looking. Perhaps someone could steer me in the right direction.
> Thanks,
> Mark

HUM!!  Just finished such a hassle.  Like 5 minutes ago!!  Lasted couple
of weeks.
I suggest you look on this list under HP LaserJet 1000 at
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-February/thread.html.
It might give you some hint.
In any case, a good place to look for is http://www.linuxprinting.org
For me I had to download the driver from this site do the install and
all was fine.

--
Mario St-Gelais