Computer Hangs / Locks Up

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 27 03:09:42 UTC 2004

Gordon Larsen wrote:
> [...]

(snip)

> Thanks for the hints though my symptoms sound different.  I've tried your
> suggestion of not enabling the nic during boot, though the PC has a static
> IP.  I've also tried three different nic's with the same result.  I don't
> have any choice about turning off the power, as the machine hangs
> completely, no response to Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctl-Alt-Del or any Alt-SysRq
> functions.  Even the mouse pointer stops.  Seems wierd.  Windoze XP and 2K
> both worked fine on this machine.
>
> Gordon Larsen
> ve6gel at shaw.ca

With gnome and mozilla giving you troubles. It sounds like something
related to the NIC connections.

acpi being on has caused some conflicts with some people and solved it
for others. I run acpi=on on both my desktop and on my laptop. My
desktop will work with either it off or on. My laptop will only work
with it on.

I am thinking that you have an interrupt conflict with something on your
system. Running acpi=on in your grub.conf file reassigns some IRQs
better than not using the parameter.

I'm not familiar with the Duron processor. I have tried the celeron,
pentium and athlon processors with no problems.

Having legacy USB support set to on in BIOS also caused me some
problems. I had to set mine to off.

Most NICS that I used either used IRQ 10 or IRQ 11. Most mice I have
seen have used IRQ 12.

There is some command that lists your IRQ assignments. I forgot the
command. It might let you see if anything is conflicting with each other.

I'm out of ideas for now. Hopefully someone recalls the command tool for
the irq mapping.

I found scripts like

/usr/sbin/irqbalance

/etc/sysconfig/irqbalance