Why i always get segment default errors for some kde programs

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 28 03:30:01 UTC 2004

climb said:
> Hi:
>   it is my first time in this list.
>   I have found that some kde programs in my system (Fedora 1) are very
> easy to produce segment default. The affected programs now are kdevelop2
> ( just apt from the official source) and kile-1.6.1. In fact, at first
> they worked ok. But after sometime, they could not be started. If run in
> console, it said Segment Default. So, in order to use them, i have to re
> install the rpm either use rpm -e and rpm -i or use rpm -U --force. Then
>  they can start again. However, after sometime ( i really dont know
> when), they will fail again. :-(  so i have to the reintall again. One
> thing i can be sure is that after each re-installation, they surely can
> be started.

There was a message on the -devel list the other day about some kde apps
not liking prelink.  I don't think it was either of those, but it would be
worth a shot to try "rpm -e prelink" then reinstalling your kdevelop2 and
kile RPMs.

If that fixes your problem, please file a bug against prelink.

--
William Hooper