yummir, manage mirror servers in /etc/yum.conf

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Feb 29 22:57:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 05:02:26PM -0600, Peter Smith wrote:
>That's a good point.  What, exactly, is the difference between "yummir"
>and "yummy"??

It looks like yummy comes with a list of mirrors for just the "base"
server id.  It has a very extensive list of repositories, but they're
static in the package.  It looks like you can e-mail or possibly visit a
web page to get an update, but it doesn't seem to have any idea of
wether the update it's getting is newer than the existing one you have.
It does sound like it uses some mechanism for checking to see which are
the fastest mirrors that you can reach from your location.

yummir is designed to automatically pull an updated list of repositories
from a mirror server, and verify that it's more recent than the copy on
the system.  While the current list I'm publishing is smaller as far as
the number of mirrors listed, it's got more repositories than just the
"base" repository.  "yummir" is suitable for running from cron for
keeping your yum.conf up to date, accounting for changes in the set of
mirrors and their status.

Thanks for the pointer though, I hadn't seen yummy.  It seems likely
that the two projects could cooperate.

>Did you mean to call "yummir" "yummier" ??

No, I meant to call it yummir, which is pronounced kind of like yummier,
but it's a tool for dealing with mirror sites for yum, so yummir...

Sean
--
 "Your documents always look so good."  "That's because I keep my laser-printer
 set on ``stun''."  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1998