How do I know when a reboot is required?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 13 01:21:50 UTC 2004

David L Norris wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 18:36, Don wrote:
>
>>With MS Windows, it seems a reboot is required after nearly every
>>software update.
>

> I think that's largely due to their file locking mechanisms.  (And maybe
> further due to way their filesystems creates files.)

It has a lot to do with that evil thing called the "Registry" which has
its grubby fingers in almost every program.  If you tweak the registry,
you have to reboot.  BTW, that's how most "sticky" hacks get on a
Windows box...they get into the registry so they get restarted on each
boot.  Nice idea, TERRIBLE implementation.
- Real Time, adj.: Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only -
-                        occurs there and then                       -