K3b: ide-scsi

Krikket krikket at gothpoodle.com
Thu Jan 1 15:00:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Christophe Le Guern wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:34:06 +0100
> Henk Jurriens <henk.jurriens at home.nl> wrote:
> >
> > I want to use K3B, but I got the following message :
> >
> > No support for ATAPI with cdrdao
> > You will not be able to use all your reading devices as copy sources since
> > there is at least one not configured to use SCSI emulation and your system
> > does not support ATAPI with cdrdao.
> > Solution: The best and recommended solution is to enable ide-scsi (SCSI
> > emulation) for all devices. This way you won't have any problems.
> >
> > But how can I enable ide-scsi emulation? My harddisk had ide-scsi emulation
> > ( kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ hdd=ide-scsi rhgb )
>
> Hi Henk,
>
> I use k3b too, and I have hdc=ide-scsi in /etc/grub.conf.
> That means hdc (my ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive) is scsi emulate.
> That's works great for me.
>
> You have to know if your hdd is your ATAPI device:
> # dmesg | grep hdd

Folks, just a quick word of warning before you attempt this...

Yesterday afternoon, I edited /etc/grub.conf to add "hdx=ide-scsi".  (I'm
saying hdx, becuase I forget the correct letter for my configuration.
Needless to say, I checked the dmesg output to find the correct drive
letter.)

But when I got around to rebooting the system, GRUB choked, and choked
hard.  It could no longer recognize the Linux partitions.

Load up the Fedora CD #1 and run "linux rescue".  While I was not able to
enter and move about the file system, the grub.conf file had vanished...

I ended up having to do a reinstall from scratch.  I wasn't even given the
option of upgrading a previous install.

So, if this works for you -- great.  But be careful when you do this, or
you might end up hosing your system like I did.

Krikket