Problem updating Mozilla with up2date

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Fri Jan 2 22:02:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:38:37 -0500, John Li wrote:

>   I'm having problems updating Mozilla with up2date--it looks like
> a bug that other people would have encountered.  When updating
> from Mozilla 1.4.1-17 to 1.4.1-18 only (no other updates checked),
> the following message pops up:
>

> There was a package dependency problem.  The message was:
>
> Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
>
> galeon-1.2.7-3      requires Mozilla = 35:1.2.1
>

> I'm guessing that the "35:" should not be there and is fouling things
> up.  How can I get around this problem?  Thanks-

First of all, why did you post this message as a reply to the thread
called "Re: Printing Problems"? You did want to compose an entirely new
message, didn't you?

The 35 is the Epoch, separated by a colon. It is normally not part of the
package file name and hence invisible unless you query the package
headers. Have a look at what your installed galeon package depends on

  rpm --query --requires galeon

If it requires Mozilla 1.2.1 (Epoch 35), you should not have Mozilla 1.4.1
installed right now, because that breaks the dependency and should not
have been allowed. Smells like a --nodeps or --force installation of
either galeon or mozilla.