vmware 4.0 on Fedora?

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Sat Jan 3 16:05:20 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-02 18:33, Ben Steeves whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

>On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 19:42, Carey Jung wrote:
>

>>Anybody had any luck running Vmware on Fedora?  I'm about to give it a
>>try and was just wondering.
>>

>The archives are full of helpful suggestions on the matter, but I can
>summarize it by the following:
>
>- make sure you have the kernel-source installed for your running kernel
>
>- do 'export CC=gcc32' before running 'vmware-config.pl'

I've seen several posts with this 'export CC=gcc32' caveat and gather
that the FC1 kernel was compiled with gcc32, but the supplied default
compiler is gcc33.  Couldn't we get around this problem by re-compiling
the kernel with gcc33, and then we'd be done with it?  Is there a web
page with some further explanation of all this mysterious mis-match you
could point me at?

--
Fritz Whittington
I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none. (Ben Shahn)