Does anyone have a *SCRIPT* for backing up data to DVD+R media under Fedora?

Marcel J.E. Mol marcel at mesa.nl
Sun Jan 4 11:07:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:29:44PM +1000, Peter Kiem wrote:
> OK, I just tried with a DVD+R and here are my results
>
> Tarred the files and used split to break it up into chunks of 4000m
> (Interesting enough mkisofs spat the dummy if I used larger files than
> that).
>
> mkisofs -R -V "volume name" -o cd.aa.img holding.tar.aa
> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cdrom=cd.aa.img
>
> Worked perfectly, no errors or anything.  But I cannot read the DVD
> back.  A mount command comes back with
>
> [pkiem at Peter pkiem]$ mount /dev/cdrom
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file systems

Did you try on mounting the dvd on some other dvd-rom player?
I had similar problems. Could not mount the dvd on the dvd-writer that
created it! But it worked fine on another systems dvd-rom.

PS: why do you create iso file beforehand. Growisofs can do that for you
 and it maght save you some disk space:

  growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cdrom -R -V "volume name" holding.tar.aa

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112