Routing of directed broadcast packets

Christians, Stefan Mr. software at kkalice.com
Mon Jan 5 04:18:25 UTC 2004

I have a router running FC1 between two subnetworks:
10.30.0.0/16 is on eth0
10.10.0.0/16 is on eth1

Normal routing is working fine.

I would like to generate a broadcast udp packet on a server in subnet
10.10.0.0 which is destined for subnet 10.30.0.0.
My understanding was that I could use a "directed broadcast" address of
10.30.255.255 for that purpose.

But the packet never reaches subnet 10.30.0.0.
Tcpdump on the router shows that the directed broadcast packet is
recognized on the router's eth1 interface, but never leaves the router
again through eth0.
In addition, tcpdump reports "0 packets dropped bt kernel".

Is there any kernel parameter or sysctl switch I can use to convince my
FC1 router to route directed broadcast packets?

--
Stefan Christians