It's ironic that the "Open Source" name did not lead to clarity.

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Jan 5 05:43:07 UTC 2004

Jeff Kinz wrote:
> No. "open source" is "Open Source"(TM).  Its not case sensitive.  It is
> a specific phrase with a specific meaning.  The phrase was specifically
> invented for this specific purpose.
>
> Sorry, You don't get to hijack it. :-)

And how ironic it is that that movement, which was formed in part because of
problems with the term "Free Software" and owes its existence to the
idealism that that movement rejects[1], ended up coining a name that is no
more immediately clear than what they sought to replace.

And I am not aware that the term "Open Source" was ever successfully
trademarked.

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-07/msg00873.html