sticky bit?

Le Hong Boi Le.Hong.Boi at sg.netnam.vn
Tue Jan 6 01:50:27 UTC 2004

Vào ngày Th 3 , 06/01/2004 lúc 08:35, 1073352924 viết rằng:

> Anyone know what a "sticky bit" is actually used for? Anything?
>
> My (older) linux book says it will cause an executable file to remain in the
> swap area and thus make it load faster. It also says, though, that a
> permission flag will change to 't' or 'T' when the "sticky bit" is set, but
> that does not happen (using FC1).
>
> A follow-up question: if the "sticky bit" can be used as claimed, could it be
> helpful in getting things like Konqueror to open more quickly? I'm used to
> the snappy performance of Win2k on my older machine (with ample RAM) and it's
> frustrating waiting a few seconds every time I want to open a web browser or
> file management window.

Read in man page of chmod
STICKY FILES
       On  older  Unix  systems,  the sticky bit caused executable files to be
       hoarded in swap space.  This feature is not useful on  modern  VM  sys-
       tems, and the Linux kernel ignores the sticky bit on files.  Other ker-
       nels may use the sticky bit on files for system-defined  purposes.   On
       some systems, only the superuser can set the sticky bit on files.

Lê Hồng Bội
le.hong.boi at sg.netnam.vn
Phone: +84 91 3715235
http://lhboi.tripod.com