ownership / permissions on a fat32 drive

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Jan 6 05:23:44 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 January 2004 11:04 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> If you really want to write as a normal user inside the mysql directory
> on the windows partition you should think over adding a special
> maintaining user and add him to the mysql group. Become this new user

No, wait. I think you might have just suggested a solution to my problem, but
I'm not quite sure.

You see, I don't want to write inside the MySQL directory -- I have set the
ownership of the entire partition to 'mysql' so I can't write to *any* of it
as my normal user (trevor).

Maybe what I should do is somehow set just the MySQL data directory that I
have set on the vfat partition to be owned by 'mysql'. The rest could be
owned by 'trevor' (since I'm the only one using the system).

Does that sound right? I'll have to go read about how to do that...