xcdroast does not like DVD+R drives

Chris Rouch crouch at pobox.com
Tue Jan 6 10:30:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:05:39 -0800
Alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:

> If you are going to burn DVDs, you are better off with k3b.
> (http://www.k3b.org/)  It requires some extra libraries, which you
> will want anyway. (DVD+R tools.) It also gets you away from the closed
> source cdrecord.prodvd. The interface is like Nero in the Windows
> world (which is good and bad), but it works a great deal better.

I'll second that. I've only just got an NEC DVD+/- R/RW drive and have
successfully written DVD+R and DVD-RW using k3b. AFAIK it's just a gui
on top of other commands which do the real work, so it shouldn't be
difficult to work out what it's calling and use those in a script for
automated backups.

Regards,

Chris