ldap.conf: 'pam_groupdn' being completely ignored?

Brian Jones jonesy at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jan 6 20:03:45 UTC 2004

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. This is, essentially, what I'm trying
to do. However, I'd rather do all the configuration in one place if I can.

My first choice is to do it using pam_groupdn, because then it's only
one file that gets altered (/etc/ldap.conf). I don't really see a reason
for it not to work, unless an RPM was goofed up or my config is wrong,
which is hard to do being that it's ONE key/value pair.

My second option is to use 'compat' mode and reference a netgroup
(stored in LDAP) in my passwd/shadow files. This doesn't seem to be as
straightforward as I thought it might be. I can see the searches going
by for the netgroup, but the filter isn't being 'OR'd with a uid of any
kind.

Your idea is already on the list of stuff that I *can* do if I'm
cornered, but this workaround doesn't address why the initial problem
occurs. Option one was easy in RH 9, option 2 works in RH ES/AS/WS,
option 3 will probably work, but this is horribly inconsistent and gives
the appearance of flakiness. I was hoping not to have to tear open
source rpms and code, but...

Thanks again,
brian.