Solution for Up2date problems

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Wed Jan 7 04:38:08 UTC 2004

fedora-list-admin at redhat.com wrote:
> Don Levey said:
>

>> One quick note on the above:
>> The archives are a great resource, but this list has such volume
>> that it can be difficult to sift through to find the correct answer.
>
> Of course a lot of that volume is people asking the same question
> because they didn't search the archives.  Check out a query for
> "nvidia drivers"...

Fair enough.  But many of these questions could easily be addressed via a
*technical* FAQ made available on the main page of the archive site.  The
posting for Release Notes and FAQ claims that they answer 75% of the
postings on the list, and yet the FAQ is non-technical in nature and I don't
see much of these questions in the release notes.

>> something a little more informative than RTFM can be much more
>> helpful, even if I don't need someone to personally hold my hand.
>
> Once you've answered the same question 5 times in one day it begins
> to be a little silly to keep posting the same answer (and adding to
> the volume of the list).

Yes, I agree. Tech support is what I do for a living anyway, and am in the
midst of compiling an FAQ for my company.

>> But I'm
>> hoping that Linux will make it beyond the geeks-only threshhold; if
>> this is to happen, we've got to expect that less-experienced people
>> will be trying to do this too.
>
> I see no reason searching archives is a "geeks-only" activity.  Heck,
> at this point you can probably get close just hitting up Google.
>
> --
> William Hooper

Searching is not a geeks-only activity, or at least it shouldn't be.  But
you have to know where to search.  My forays into the archive have come up
with huge volumes of info;  I'm sure the correct answer is in there
somewhere and I'd like to be able to devote hours to the search, but I
can't.  Google is somewhat better in that respect, but not much.  I'm
running into technical issues which *should* have a reasonable resolution,
and probably do have a write-up somewhere.  I'd be happy to read a manual or
web page, as long as I know which one.

I don't mean to get off on a rant here.  It's that I am having difficulties
which require some technical knowledge, expertise, and experience to answer.
*THAT* is what I see as being geeks-only.  I don't want to get people
annoyed with me - I understand the frustration of answering the same
question many many times (especially if it's an answer easily found
elsewhere), but my honest efforts to find those answers have come up empty.

Thanks, though, to all of you for the help so far, and anticipated,
 -Don