kernel-source - could we patch instead?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jan 7 21:09:40 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 02:46 pm, Jack Spaar wrote:
> For the kernel-source, would it be possible to issue
> a patch instead of requiring the full 39MB download for
> each kernel update?

There used to be a way of doing this that was used to distribute errata for
non-open-source packages called 'rhmask'.  Something similar could work to
reduce bandwidth usage.

IIRC, the rhmask way required you to keep the original install RPM on hand,
and all deltas were to the pristine install, which means that there is always
only one delta necessary (current errata to pristine install).

An rhmask-style up2date would ask you for the install CD containing the
pristine RPM, and would build the new install RPM from the pristine patched
by the delta.

The more I think about this, the more I like it, although there are issues to
think about.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology