up2date is *horrid*

Philip Wyett philip at wyett.net
Thu Jan 8 05:57:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 05:02, Hernan Fernandez wrote:
> El jue, 08-01-2004 a las 00:33, Pedro Fernandes Macedo escribió:
> > Mark Fuller wrote:
> >
> > >What is wrong with up2date? It is very unpredictable whether it will
> > >complete. Most of the time it hangs. I was completely unable to get anywhere
> > >with it at work (through a firewall). At home, it hangs half the time.
> > >Tonight it hangs 9 out of 10 times.
> > >
> > >I used gentoo and had no problems with emerge. Is this something Redhat is
> > >aware of? Or is it accepted as normal?
> > >
> > >Mark
>
> Yes i have the same problem with up2date, i edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
> and add a local mirror from http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
> and you can see that it flight :D
>
> saludos
> --
> Hernan Fernandez

While the editing of '/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources' and using a mirror is
the correct way currently to avoid the high load on Red Hat servers - It
is far from ideal. As a desktop OS looking to gain new users, we really
need local mirror selection via drop-down menu (or whatever) as part of
the update application. Could be time for an RFE. :)

Regards

Philip Wyett

Email: philip at wyett.net
Website: http://www.wyett.net