up2date is *horrid*

Philip Wyett philip at wyett.net
Thu Jan 8 18:05:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 12:56, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Thursday 08 January 2004 05:57, Philip Wyett wrote:
>
> > While the editing of '/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources' and using a mirror is
> > the correct way currently to avoid the high load on Red Hat servers - It
> > is far from ideal. As a desktop OS looking to gain new users, we really
> > need local mirror selection via drop-down menu (or whatever) as part of
> > the update application. Could be time for an RFE. :)
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you are suggesting,
> but I certainly don't want to go through the rigmarole
> of choosing a mirror every time I run up2date.
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

This would hopefully be a one time selection screen with your choice
saved to /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and retrieved from that file each
time you run it to retrieve updates. Hopefully 99% of the time you will
just click 'Next' and goto the next screen happy with your usual mirror
or change it if your not and wanted to try other(s).

Regards

Philip Wyett

Email: philip at wyett.net
Website: http://www.wyett.net